White Bread recipe
Makes 3 loaves
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
For the Dough:
- 9 cups white flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 and 1/2 cups warm water (approximate, adjust as needed)
- Butter for rubbing (if desired)
- In a bowl, combine 1 tbsp yeast, 1 tbsp sugar, and 1/2 cup warm water. Allow it to rest for a duration of 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, add 9 cups of white flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 tbsp salt.
- Mix in 1/2 cup melted butter and 3 and 1/2 cups warm water. Adjust the water as needed to achieve a soft, non-sticky dough.
- Add the yeast mixture to the bowl and incorporate more flour as required. Combine and work the dough for approximately 10 minutes.
- Place a tea towel over the bowl and let the dough rise for 1 hour. You can create a warm environment by preheating the oven to the lowest setting, turning it off, and then placing the covered bowl inside to rise.
- After the first rise, punch down the dough and let it rest for 1/2 hour.
- Shape the dough into loaves or rolls and place them in greased pans. Allow the dough to rise for another hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
- Bake the risen dough in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the bread turns golden brown.
- Once baked, remove the bread from the oven. If desired, rub the tops with butter for a glossy finish.
- Allow the bread to cool before slicing and serving.
Enjoy your freshly baked white bread!