Beet Borscht Soup Recipe
This is a simplified and easier version of the classic Russian Borscht without meat. So easy to make and loaded with beets, cabbage, potatoes and herbs, this soup is wonderful!
Servings: eight servings
- one medium onion, finely chopped
- two carrots, shredded
- two Tbsp oil
- one Tbsp unsalted butter
- two medium uncooked beets, shredded
- half red bell pepper, cubed
- one celery rib, chopped
- one cup diced fresh tomatoes
- two garlic cloves, minced
- thirty two oz chicken broth
- eight cups water
- two bay leaves
- three large potatoes, cubed
- four cups green cabbage, shredded (half head)
- two tsp salt, or to taste
- one tsp ground black pepper
- half tsp granulated sugar
- two tsp lemon juice
- two Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- two Tbsp dill, chopped
- two Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Finely chop the onion and shred the carrots.
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, heat the oil and butter. Add the onions and carrots and saute until tender, about five min.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the celery, cube the pepper, grate the beets and dice the tomatoes.
- Add to the Dutch oven and saute another five minutes, stirring as needed.
- Mix in the garlic.
Add the broth, water, bay leaves, potatoes and bring to a soft boil.
Meanwhile, grate the cabbage.
Add the cabbage, salt, pepper and sugar to the soup.
Cook twelve to fifteen minutes.
Once the potatoes and cabbage are tender, add the lemon juice and herbs.