Well, I finally got away from the kitchen sink after spending most of the morning making dinner. I made a few things today that I haven't made in a while and will share them with you over the next couple of days. Similar to this cabbage...I love cabbage pretty much any way you cook it, so I followed my dad's lead and put it in the oven with everything else I was making. And I didn't make my husband leave because of it. This is a recipe that almost never goes wrong and always turns out great. It can be a meal on its own if you put it on a big piece of toasted cornbread.
- 1 medium head of cabbage, chopped into about 5 cups
- 4 T. butter
- 1/2 cup of water 14 teaspoon of salt 12 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and a pinch or two of red pepper flakes, if you want.
- Wash the cabbage, cut it in half, then cut each half into thin strips.
- Put the cabbage in a 2 quart baking dish (I used my 8" iron pan).
- Cut the butter into four pieces and put them all over the cabbage. Pour the water into the bowl, and then add the seasoning on top.
- Don't stir it. Cover with tin foil and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
- Take off the tin foil and bake for another 15 minutes, or until the meat is as soft as you want it to be.
- Before I take mine out, I like the tips to get a little crispy.