Old School Peanut Butter Bars on "Throwback Thursday"
A school friend of mine gave me this recipe back in 2015. It's the recipe that our school's lunch ladies used to make peanut butter bars, and when I made them, they tasted just like I remembered them. This recipe has been shared over 152K times since 2015, making it one of the most popular on my page. Since then, I've made these a lot of times, and our grandkids love them.
Peanut Butter Bars
- 1/2 tbsp. of smooth peanut butter
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 1. Self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 T. white sugar
- 2 big eggs
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c. confectioners sugar for the frosting
- 2 TB creamy peanut butter
- 2 T. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Put the peanut butter and butter in a pot over low heat to melt.
- Don't let it boil, just let it warm up and melt.
- Take the pot off the heat and mix in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Mix the flour in well by stirring. Spread out evenly in a 13x9" sheet cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Cool all the way down and freeze.
Frosting: Mix all of the ingredients together with a whisk and spread over the bars.