Hearty Tortellini Soup with Italian Sausage and Kale
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, ground
- 1 onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (14 oz can) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed
- 1 (10 oz) bag tortellini, fresh (not dried)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Prepare the Sausage and Aromatics:
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the ground Italian sausage, minced onion, and minced garlic to the pot.
- Sauté the mixture until the onions are soft and translucent, which takes about 5 minutes. If there's any excessive fat, drain it off.
- Incorporate Tomatoes and Broth:
- Add the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste to the pot.
- Whisk everything together until the tomato paste is fully incorporated.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then season it with the salt.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and let it cook for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Add Greens and Pasta:
- While the soup simmers, prepare the kale by removing the stems and tearing the leaves into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the torn kale and the fresh tortellini to the pot.
- Pour in the heavy cream as well.
- Let the soup continue to simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes. The kale should wilt, and the tortellini will become tender.
- Serve and Garnish:
- Once the kale is wilted and the pasta is cooked to your liking, the soup is ready to be enjoyed.
- If desired, sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese on top of the soup for extra flavor.
- For a touch of heat, you can also add red pepper flakes.
- Savor and Delight:
- Ladle the warm and comforting tortellini soup into bowls.
- Each spoonful of this hearty soup brings together the richness of Italian sausage, the earthiness of kale, and the creamy goodness of tortellini.
Warm up your dinner table with a bowl of this delightful tortellini soup. It's a perfect harmony of flavors that'll leave you craving more.