Secret Family Recipe: Mustard Pickled Eggs
Preparation Time: 10-14 days (including pickling time)
- 12 Eggs
- 1 sliced medium Onion
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard or 1 1/2 tablespoons of mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- Boil and Remove Shells: Begin by boiling the 12 eggs until they are hard-boiled. Once cooked, carefully remove the eggshells and place the eggs to the side.
- Prepare the Pickling Mixture: In a saucepan, combine 4 cups of water, 1 cup of white vinegar, 1 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon of kosher salt, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add Flavor: After it begins boiling, incorporate 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds, 3 tablespoons of yellow mustard (or 1 1/2 tablespoons of mustard powder), and 2 teaspoons of turmeric into the boiling mixture. Simmer this mixture for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Cool the Pickling Mixture: Once simmered, remove the mixture from heat and let it cool down.
- Combine Eggs and Onions: Place the peeled eggs and sliced onions in a quart-sized jar or jars, depending on how much you are making.
- Pour and Pickle: Carefully pour the cooled pickling mixture over the eggs and onions in the jar(s). Seal the jar(s) tightly.
- Pickling Process: Refrigerate the jar(s) for 10-14 days, remembering to give them a gentle stir or shake every day to distribute the flavors.
- Enjoy: After the pickling period, your mustard eggs will be ready to enjoy. They can be used in salads, egg sandwiches, deviled eggs, or any other creative way you like. They have a delightful flavor and pair well with various dishes.
Feel free to adjust the quantity of mustard seeds or mustard type to your taste, and you can always double or triple the recipe based on your needs. Additionally, you can prepare extra pickled onions for additional flavor options. Enjoy your homemade mustard eggs!