Night and Day Cake (Dia y Noches) Recipe
Although the recipe calls for devil's food cake mix, you can substitute a dark chocolate cake mix or any other chocolate cake recipe if you prefer to make it from scratch. If you can't find cajeta, you can use caramel ice cream topping as a substitute. Ensure you tightly cover the cake pan with foil to prevent lopsided baking. You may not use all of the milk mixture in the pan, which is fine. The baking time is indeed correct - 2 hours. Use a serving dish with sides, as the caramel will drizzle down.
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 1 1/2 cups water (according to cake mix instructions)
- 1/2 cup oil (according to cake mix instructions)
- 3 eggs (according to cake mix instructions)
- 11 oz cajeta (Mexican caramel topping)
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Thoroughly coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray. Soften the cajeta in the microwave and pour it into the prepared pan. Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions and pour it into the pan, on top of the cajeta.
- In a blender, combine the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, regular milk, softened cream cheese, vanilla, and 5 eggs. Blend until smooth. VERY SLOWLY pour this mixture over the cake batter in the pan.
- Spray a square piece of aluminum foil (large enough to cover the Bundt pan) and cover the pan tightly with it. Ensure the foil is sealed tightly around the pan.
- Place the foil-covered Bundt pan inside a larger pan and set it on the oven rack. Pour about 2 inches of hot water into the outer pan to create a water bath. Bake for exactly 2 hours. DO NOT UNCOVER DURING COOKING TIME.
- Take the cake out of the oven and allow it to cool for a duration of 15 minutes. Carefully peel off the aluminum foil. Invert the cake onto a serving plate with a rim, and remove the Bundt pan. Cajeta will drizzle down the edges of the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool completely, then refrigerate it.
Enjoy your delicious Night and Day Cake (Dia y Noches)!