Budget-Friendly Creamy Ham and Leek Pasta Bake
This budget-friendly, healthy, and satisfying meal is perfect for weekday dinners. Paired with some carrot sticks or broccoli on the side, it can serve 6 adults or 4 adults and 4 kids.
- 1/2 liter (2.1 cups) of cooking cream (thickens when cooked)
- 8 eggs (+/-2 depending on size, consider using 10 if medium-sized)
- 2-3 leeks
- 500-600 grams (1.1-1.3 pounds) of ham, cut into cubes
- 250 grams (0.55 pounds or 8.8 ounces) of wholegrain fusilli pasta
- Salt, pepper, and other spices (dried thyme works wonderfully)
- Optional: 1.5 carrots per person or additional veggies of your choice
- Begin by cooking your pasta to avoid it being too firm in the dish.
- While the pasta is cooking, chop the leeks into rings and cut the ham into cubes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and cream until well combined, then add your spices. Whisk again to ensure even distribution.
- Once the pasta is cooked, preheat your oven to 200°C (392°F).
- Layer the bottom of an ovenproof dish with pasta, followed by a layer of leeks and then ham. Repeat this layering until you've used up all the ingredients.
- Pour the egg and cream mixture evenly over the layers in the dish.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for about an hour.
- While it's baking, prepare your extra veggies. Consider carrot sticks, steamed broccoli, cucumber, or bell peppers, depending on your preference.
- Once the pasta bake is done, let it cool slightly before serving.
- Enjoy this delicious and budget-friendly meal!
- This recipe yields a substantial amount of food. It's perfect for dinner for two with leftovers for two days or for feeding a larger group.
- To keep costs down, look for ham on sale and freeze it for later use. This meal can be incredibly affordable.
- If you prefer, you can use imperial measurements. Approximately 1.5 carrots per person is a good serving size, but feel free to adjust according to your preferences. Adding extra veggies on the side is a great way to stretch the dish further.