Classic Cornbread Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-3 tablespoons sugar (adjust to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons shortening (2 tablespoons for the batter, 1 tablespoon for greasing)
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add the milk to the beaten eggs.
- Stir in the salt, sugar (adjust the amount to your desired sweetness), and baking powder.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of shortening and add it to the mixture. Mix well.
- Gradually add the cornmeal, ensuring it's well incorporated into the batter.
- Finally, add the all-purpose flour and continue mixing until you have a smooth batter.
- Place a skillet or pan in the preheated oven with the remaining 1 tablespoon of shortening to melt.
- Once the shortening has melted and the pan is hot, carefully remove it from the oven.
- Pour the cornbread batter into the hot skillet or pan.
- Place the skillet or pan back in the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the skillet or pan from the oven and let it cool slightly.
- Before serving, top the cornbread with a generous pat of butter for added flavor and richness.
Enjoy your delicious homemade cornbread, a timeless classic that has been cherished for generations!