Grandma's Southern Peach Cobbler
Indulge in the unparalleled delight of Grandma's Southern Peach Cobbler, a luscious and flavorful dessert that brings together the rich essence of ripe peaches, vanilla, and a delectable homemade buttery crust. Delve into the cherished flavors passed down through generations with this authentic Southern recipe that is sure to become a family favorite.
For the Filling:
- 2 pounds of frozen peach slices
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
For the Crust:
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups ice water
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour with the shortening using a pastry cutter or dough hooks until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Gradually add 1/3 cup of ice water until the mixture forms a ball. Refrigerate the dough for 45 minutes, covered with plastic wrap.
- Place the peach slices in a large pot. Add water, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and bring to a medium-high heat until the mixture begins to bubble. Stir in the vanilla extract and butter.
- In a separate bowl, mix 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour with the remaining 1/2 cup of water. Pour this mixture into the peach mix, reduce the heat, and stir until thickened.
- Roll out the dough and cut it in half. Roll out one half, cut it into 1-inch pieces, and spread them on a baking sheet. Bake the squares at 375°F for 7 minutes.
- Spread the fruit mix in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Remove the squares from the oven and fold them into the peach mixture.
- Create a lattice pattern by placing the remaining ball of dough on top of the cobbler. Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes. For detailed steps, refer to the accompanying video.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an exquisite combination of flavors.
Feel free to experiment with the recipe, adjusting the sweetness or incorporating additional spices to suit your taste preferences. Share your experience with us and celebrate the joy of preparing Grandma's cherished peach cobbler recipe.