Homemade Strawberry Pie
- Your favorite pie crust (homemade or store-bought, per package directions)
- For the Gel Filling:
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 heaping tbsp strawberry jello
- 4 level tbsp corn starch
- A few drops of red food coloring (optional)
- Fresh strawberries (use a generous amount)
- Prepare the Pie Crust:
- Bake your favorite pie crust according to your preference. If you're short on time, you can use pre-made unroll pastry crusts. Stone pans work well for baking.
- Make the Gel Filling:
- In a microwave-safe glass, bring 1 cup of water to a boil in the microwave.
- In a good-sized, heavy kettle (especially if making more than one pie), mix together the sugar, strawberry jello, corn starch, and red food coloring (if desired).
- Pour the boiling water into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Cook the Gel Filling:
- Place the kettle on medium heat and stir the mixture often using a wire whisk.
- Continue cooking for a while until the gel thickens and starts pulling away from the sides of the kettle. Be patient; this step takes some time.
- Cool the Gel Filling:
- Once the gel filling has thickened, remove it from heat and allow it to cool completely. It should be cool before adding the strawberries.
- Assemble the Pie:
- When you're ready to assemble the pie, fold the fresh strawberries into the cooled gel filling.
- Carefully fill your baked pie shell with the strawberry mixture.
- Decorate and Serve:
- If desired, save a few pretty strawberries to decorate the top of the pie.
- Optionally, you can dip some of the berries in chocolate if time allows.
- Serve and enjoy your homemade strawberry pie!
Remember to give thanks and savor your delicious strawberry pie!