Homemade Veggie Soup
- 1 can of tomato juice
- 1 small can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can of chili-ready tomatoes
- Water (use one of the small cans to rinse both empty cans and add to the broth; additional water may be needed later)
- Ground beef
- Chopped onion
- Potatoes (several, peeled and diced)
- Carrots (several, peeled and sliced)
- Canned corn (2 cans, drained; use more if desired)
- Canned green beans (1 or 2 cans, drained)
- Canned chili beans (in mild chili sauce)
- Chili powder
- Cabbage (approximately half of a head)
- Prepare the Broth:
- In a large pot, combine 1 can of tomato juice, 1 small can of petite diced tomatoes, and 1 can of chili-ready tomatoes. Fill one of the small cans with water, rinse both empty cans, and add the rinsing water to the broth. You may need more water later, so keep some handy.
- Prepare Ground Beef and Onions:
- In a big skillet, brown the ground beef with chopped onions.
- Drain the excess grease thoroughly. You can use a strainer and rinse the meat with hot tap water to remove more grease. Set the cooked meat aside.
- Prepare Veggies:
- Peel and dice several potatoes.
- Peel and slice several carrots.
- Cook Veggies:
- Add the diced potatoes and sliced carrots to the tomato base and cook slowly. When the veggies are nearly done, add the browned hamburger.
- Add Canned Veggies:
- Stir in 2 cans of drained corn (use more if you like lots of corn), 1 or 2 cans of drained green beans, and 1 can of chili beans in mild chili sauce.
- Season with salt, a little sugar, and lots of chili powder. The secret to great veggie soup is the chili powder.
- Add Cabbage:
- As the soup is nearing completion and you like the flavor, add the chopped cabbage.
- If needed, add a little more water to reach your desired consistency.
- Simmer the soup with the lid on for another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your delicious homemade veggie soup!
Feel free to adjust the quantities according to your preferences and the size of your pot.