Get ready to savor the warmth and comfort of homemade Butternut Cookies. These classic cookies, enriched with the nutty goodness of walnuts and a hint of vanilla, are sure to become your favorite tea-time or anytime treat. In just a few simple steps, you can whip up a batch of these delightful cookies to share with family and friends. Let's dive into the recipe!
Butternut Cookies: What You Need
- 1 cup of soft, unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup of confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of finely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Additional powdered sugar for rolling
How to Make Butternut Cookies
1. Creaming the Butter and Sugar:
In a mixing bowl, combine the soft, unsalted butter and confectioners' sugar. Cream them together until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. This step incorporates air into the dough, resulting in a soft texture.
2. Adding Flavor and Structure:
- Add the vanilla extract to the butter-sugar mixture, infusing it with warmth and aroma.
- Gradually incorporate the all-purpose flour and a pinch of salt into the mixture. Continue mixing until a dough forms.
3. Nutty Goodness:
- Finely chop the walnuts to ensure they provide a delightful nutty texture without overwhelming the cookies.
- Gently fold the chopped walnuts into the dough, ensuring even distribution.
4. Chilling the Dough:
- Shape the dough into a ball and wrap it in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes. Chilling the dough makes it easier to handle and prevents excessive spreading during baking.
5. Shaping and Coating:
- Preheat your oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take small portions of the chilled dough and roll them into 1-inch diameter balls.
- Roll each dough ball generously in powdered sugar, giving the cookies their characteristic powdered appearance.
6. Baking Perfection:
- Place the sugar-coated dough balls on the prepared baking sheet, leaving enough space between them for expansion.
- Bake the Butternut Cookies in a preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the edges are just lightly golden.
7. Cooling and Storage:
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the Butternut Cookies have cooled sufficiently, store them in an airtight container to maintain their soft texture.
Conclusion: With their rich buttery flavor and delightful nutty crunch, Butternut Cookies are a timeless treat that brings warmth and comfort to every bite. Whether you enjoy them with a cup of tea or as an anytime snack, these cookies are sure to become a household favorite. Share the joy of baking and indulging in these classic Butternut Cookies with your loved ones!