The Pioneer Woman's Classic Sausage Gravy Recipe
Sausage gravy is a classic breakfast comfort food that never fails to satisfy. The Pioneer Woman's recipe for Sausage Gravy brings together the perfect blend of savory sausage, creamy milk, and a medley of spices to create a rich and hearty dish that's perfect for a cozy morning meal. Whether you prefer it mild or spicy, this recipe is easily customizable to suit your taste preferences. Let's dive into the simple steps of creating this warm and satisfying breakfast favorite.
- 1 pound hot or mild breakfast sausage
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 cups whole milk, or more to adjust consistency
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 12 biscuits, cooked and ready to serve
- Tear the sausage into small pieces and spread them evenly in a large, heavy skillet. Over medium-high heat, brown the sausage until it's no longer pink, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Spoon in half of the flour, stirring it into the sausage. Gradually add more flour, continuing to stir and cook for another minute or so.
- Pour in the milk and continue stirring the mixture constantly. Cook the gravy, stirring frequently, until it thickens, typically taking around 10 to 12 minutes.
- Season the gravy with the salt and pepper, adjusting the flavors according to your preference. If the gravy thickens too quickly, add another 1/2 cup of milk or more to achieve the desired consistency.
- Serve the sausage gravy over warm biscuits and enjoy this satisfying and flavorful breakfast. This recipe can easily be doubled to accommodate larger gatherings, making it a perfect dish for family and friends.
Follow this classic recipe from The Pioneer Woman to create a hearty and delicious breakfast that will start your day off on the right note!