Ukrainian Stewed Beef & Potatoes Recipe
Easy and delicious stewed beef with potatoes in a flavorful tomato sauce with dill!
- 1 1/2 pounds cubed beef; chuck roast or tri-tip
- olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 to 5 white potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons chopped dill
- Preheat a large saute pan over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the cubed beef (any variety will work). Season the beef with a few pinches of kosher salt and brown the meat all over. Next, add in the minced garlic and diced onion; saute until the onion is tender and translucent. Then add in the seasonings: salt, black pepper, paprika and ground cumin.
- Cook this mixture for a few more minutes, then pour in the tomato sauce, beef broth and water. Bring the liquids up to a simmer, close the pan with a tight-fitting lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
Once beef has reached desired level of tenderness, remove it into a small bowl with a slotted spoon; this will create more room for the potatoes to cook. Add the peeled, cubed potatoes. They need to be well-submerged in the broth; add more water or beef broth if needed. Cover the pan with a lid and cook covered for 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Meanwhile, prepare the cornstarch slurry. Combine the cornstarch and heavy cream until smooth. Once the potatoes are cooked, add the slurry into the sauce and return the beef to the mixture. Stir and cook for a few more minutes until the sauce thickens considerably.
Season with fresh dill when ready to serve. This dish goes will with a dollop of sour cream on top or with a side of small, Kosher pickles.
Calories: 362kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 1170mg | Potassium: 1090mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 509IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 4mg