Indulge in the irresistible charm of this Asian milk bread recipe, perfected to deliver unparalleled softness, buttery richness, and delightful fluffiness. Whether enjoyed on its own, transformed into delectable sandwiches, or used for creating tantalizing French toast, this bread promises a culinary journey that's both delightful and satisfying. With step-by-step instructions and essential tips, creating this authentic brioche-style bread has never been easier. Discover the joy of crafting a truly delectable bread that will leave your taste buds craving for more.
Let's Get Baking
- 1⅓ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon milk, at room temperature (whole milk, 2% milk, or diluted milk)
- 1 large egg, already beaten
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (or ½ cup cake flour + 3½ cups bread flour)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (or quick yeast)
- Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water)
- Simple syrup (1 tablespoon sugar mixed with 1 tablespoon hot water)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, combine heavy cream, milk, beaten egg, sugar, cake flour, bread flour, yeast, and salt. Knead the dough on the "stir" setting for 15 minutes, adjusting with additional flour if necessary to achieve a smooth, non-sticky consistency. By hand, knead for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until the dough is pliable and elastic.
- Place the kneaded dough in a warm spot and cover it with a damp towel. Let it rise for 1 to 2 hours or until doubled in size, creating an ideal environment by placing the covered dough in a closed microwave alongside a mug of just-boiled water.
- Butter both sides of two baking pans, using one loaf pan and one round pan, or two 6" loaf pans and two 9" round pans.
- Return the dough to the mixer for an additional 5 minutes to eliminate any air bubbles. Divide the dough into halves and shape each half into a rough rectangle, then cut each piece into three equal parts for loaf pans or into eight equal parts for round pans. Place the pieces in the prepared pans accordingly. Alternatively, roll each piece into a ball or rope, creating buns, and place them in the round pan as desired. Let the dough rise for an additional hour, covered.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Apply egg wash to the risen dough and bake for 23 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush the bread with the sugar water while it's still warm, creating a shiny and sweet glaze.
- Delight in the irresistible allure of freshly baked Asian milk bread, savoring the rich flavors and soft textures with every bite.
Embrace the culinary charm of this delightful Asian milk bread recipe, designed to offer a truly indulgent baking experience.